U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Kingston Elementary and Old Donation School as the No. 1 elementary and middle schools in Virginia. Old Donation School, which has students in grades two through eight and is the home of the Edward E. Brickell Academy for Advanced Academics & Arts, was also ranked as the No. 2 elementary school in the state.
Trantwood is one of fifty-five elementary schools in the Virginia Beach City School System. The present school system is the result of the merger of Princess Anne County and the resort city of Virginia Beach in 1963. Trantwood Elementary School was built the same year that merger occurred.
The history of the Trantwood area can be traced to when the location was an Algonquin Indian burial ground. The Trant family purchased a large tract of land, Trantwood's present site, in 1930. A dairy farm was started on the property and later Black Angus beef cattle were added. The farm was sold in 1960 to the Virginia Beach School Board for the construction of an elementary school.
In 1963 Trantwood Elementary School opened its doors to serve the Great Neck area. The school is located at 2344 Inlynnview Road, one block west of Great Neck Road.
In 1969 an air-conditioned annex of four classes and two activity rooms were added to the school. In 1987 the entire school became air-conditioned. In 1991 a gymnasium was added.
Ground breaking for our renovation and new wings began June 2002. We now have a new primary wing, main office, library, cafeteria, and computer lab! All rooms and halls went through some exciting renovations. This amazing project took a little over two years.
Trantwood presently serves a school population of approximately 500 students in grades kindergarten through five. All of our students benefit from dedicated teachers and strong parental support.